Instagram: @genevievealthea

Tuesday 20 May 2014

Films that Inspire me: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.


The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is, in its finest essence, a film about a man living his life vicariously though the photos by which he is surrounded. Working in LIFE magazine as the negatives assets manager (dealing with the negatives of all the photos that are in LIFE magazine) he finds himself stuck in a world where he fantasises scenarios of his life - the way he wished things were, rather than the reality he is stuck in.  A turn of events find Walter Mitty's fantasies whooshed away as he embarks into his unbelievable, breath taking reality.  

I feel like in many ways, I can relate to Walter Mitty - I do photography, I love long boarding and I dream of adventures. But also, here I am, living my life behind a laptop, being fairly content with where I am, watching others go on adventures and seeing places I only dream about. On many occasions, I have found myself to fantasise about 'what could be' - where myself and (usually) several/certain photographers and friends are in certain places around the world, exploring and taking photos and just living life to its fullest.  I mean, I make plans to travel - yet I still sit and fantasise and never actively put my plans into motion. But no longer! I feel my 'unbelievable reality' is soon approaching. It is time to get out of my comfort zone, to actually explore and get out and adventure with those whom I long to meet in countries I dream about. 

With scenes of long boarding on winding, deserted countryside roads, vast landscapes of rolling hills, rugged, ice-capped mountains and many photography references, I knew this film would soon become one of my favourites. What I didn't expect was a movie that would inspire me to stop living so comfortably, to shake things up, to take a bit of a risk and actually live life. With beautiful cinematography, a light-hearted, heartwarming storyline, wonderful acting and amazing landscapes, it is a film that I definitely recommend and truly believe will (even for just a moment) inspire you. 












Watch out world! It's my turn and I am putting plans into action. 
☼ 

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, you made me want to watch this movie !
    It's kinda funny because i've just read an article on Garance Doré's blog about life's ambition and idk it feels like an echo of it ! But i totally agree with you, i so dream about going on adventures but all i do is sit behind my laptop haha, but yeah, i guess it's all up to us ? (ok and money too) If we decided to go abroad for a few days or week we could, i know a girl who spent a few month in Asia and i think she's so brave because i'm not sure i would've gone by myself in Vietnam ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i forgot, i also received your letter, but with finals i didn't have time to answer yet, i'll do it soon though :) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma! I had no idea that you had a blog ( I don't know why I didn't). But now I can put a face to the name!
      Your blog is wonderful :)

      Oh yes! Well definitely watch it! It is so beautiful.
      Mhmm. I completely understand. Money is also a part of the reason why I haven't been places also. But I guess if you really do want to travel, you'll have to what ever it takes to make it happen (same goes for me).

      Ah, don't worry! It's been crazy with university for me, so I completely understand!

      Delete