Instagram: @genevievealthea

Monday 26 May 2014

Films that inspire me: The Way Way Back

The Way Way Back is a film that has recently come into my collection. I bought it in the hopes that it would be good (as I had seen the trailer and it looked like something I would enjoy) and I wasn't disappointed. From the creators of Little Miss Sunshine and Juno, this  film is a poignant, heart touching look into the life of the misunderstood 14-year-old, Duncan, as he begins to come into his own and find his place in the world.  

After being well received at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, it moved on to show the world exactly why it was so wonderful.  

With the transition of the characters as they experience real-life, relatable issues, the forming of an unexpected friendship between an unlikely pair (that you secretly become jealous of), the perfect balance of witty and serious dialog and the phenomenal acting, while being veiled in a beautiful simplicity - this film is truly refreshing. 


On the same note, I would highly recommend the original score to this movie, as it it uplifting and simply beautiful. I have been listening to it while editing and doing copious assignments, and it has helped get me through.  In all honesty, I have been listening to the score almost every single day for the past month and a bit and I still love it. 

I think as a whole, this film shows the vulnerability of life and how what we say and do can affect those around us more than we realise, but also shows how there is still true kindness and simple joys in the world. I left thinking about these things and feeling a sense of comfort and hope for life's journey. This, I think, is the mark of a good movie.

I would without a doubt, recommend this film to anyone. 

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely second your recommendation. I saw this a few months back and thought it was sweet, honest and funny.

    ReplyDelete